Sunday, March 24, 2013

Preparing for a One-Shot Workshop

This week we will be working in the same pairs and groups that we worked in for our book clubs to do one-shot workshops. 

I have done group presentations in class before and I have even developed and given a full two hour workshop based on the research I did last summer for my internship.  However I found this experience to be somehow more challenging than any of my past experiences. I think this may in part be due to the time frame that we had to work with. 

We had a bit of an initial block when it came to coming up with topics, but once we got going there were a number of topics that my partner and I were interested in exploring. However, we didn't feel that we would have enough time to properly research and produce a workshop on some of our topic ideas, so we had to work to narrow our choices down to something we felt we would be able to research and develop a workshop on in a week.

When it came to pulling the actual workshop together we chose a topic and then used google docs to develop an outline and estimate how long each section would be.  The biggest challenge was  finding a flow of information that felt like it worked and that still touched on the topics we felt were important to cover.

After we had our outline divided up we developed the visual portion of our presentation using Prezi.com. We chose Prezi over power point because we like the way that it allows an audience to visualize the sequence of a presentation from the start.


5 comments:

  1. My partner and I struggled to find an appropriate topic that we felt we could talk about too. Initially we struggled to find a topic related to ethics that we felt we could teach. My partner and I followed a similar structure of putting together our workshop as well. I'm really excited to see how everybody's workshop comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ours has absolutely nothing to do with ethics, we went for an issue that we noticed in one of our blogs instead.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it was surprisingly hard to plan our workshop given both the time constraint of 20 minutes and the short planning time--one week. We had to discard several fun topics to make sure we'd be able to cover everything in a productive way for our participants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was glad I got to see yours. You guys did a superb job covering the information in an efficient yet comprehensive manner. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,I'm glad you got to see it too. It was a fun assignment.

      Delete